I am always stressing the significance of functional, body weight strength training routines and how beneficial they are in endurance sports training. A friend of mine, Wayne Kurtz, had the following workouts posted on his recent blog. These are EXCELLENT and you can follow the links for detailed demonstrations.
Here are my top Ten (body weight) strength training exercises (no machines necessary):
1. Hindu Squats – Great quad power builder and aerobic work – build up to 200 reps.
2. Squat Thrusts – These are killer – see if you can build up to 75-100 (good form).
3. Wall Sit - Build to 2 minutes.
4. Pushups – There are so many different ways to do them.
5. Plank – build up to hold for 3 minutes and your abs will be very strong.
6. Jump Rope (speed sessions) – build up to 5 minutes.
7. Reverse Crunch – Build to a set of 50.
8. Mountain Climbers – Build up to 100 total (50 for each leg).
9. Superman – Build to a set of 20 “holds”.
10. Bicycle Crunch - Build to 1 minute (fast and high rev’s per minute).