A multi-sport athlete (soccer, basketball, baseball) growing up in Suburban Philadelphia, Steve made his way to Cabrini College in Radnor Pennsylvania on a soccer scholarship where he earned many honors including Most Valuable Player recognition, and a Distinguished Alumni award for his charitable work in the community. After college, Brown was offered pro soccer tryouts with the Philadelphia Fever, Pennsylvania Stoners, and Baltimore Blast but a pro soccer career never took hold. Brown then played semi-professionally for a number of years in the Majors Division of the United Soccer League for the German club Danubia.
Steve traded in his soccer shoes and turned his passions to the flexibility of multisport racing in 1987 and has never looked back. Since 1987, Steve has racked up countless triathlons and multisport events of all distances including marathons, ultra marathons, and ironman triathlons and many top age group finishes.
In February of 2006, life threw Steve a curve ball when he was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Wasting no time, he underwent four rounds of chemotherapy. He maintained his baseline fitness level, often running home from his treatments and quickly reached complete remission. By July of that same year, he was back to racing triathlons. By September of that year, just 7 months after his diagnosis, “RemissionMan” crossed the finish line of his 8th career iron distance triathlon (2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run). His diagnosis drew him to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program where he signed on as a Triathlon Coach.
In 2012 and 2013 Brown’s leukemia required additional treatment. He again underwent multiple rounds of treatment and safely reached remission. And again, Brown used endurance sports as a weapon in his arsenal against cancer; running home from treatments and racing marathons and triathlons throughout his treatments. In 2016 his leukemia staged another comeback and required multiple full blown chemotherapy treatments over a 4 month period. Brown responded well to treatment and recovered well in between rounds allowing him to continue to race and train throughout chemo.
In addition to his busy racing, training, and coaching schedule, Steve is also very active using his involvement in multisport racing as a way of raising funds and awareness for significant causes. In his “spare time”, Steve works closely with organizations such as The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Grassroot Soccer, and HEADstrong Foundation in promoting and supporting their events. Steve is also a member of Team Inspiration whose mission is to empower individuals living with cancer by developing exercise & wellness programs that improve their physical, mental, and spiritual quality of life. He’s also written several books which talk about everything from fitness and triathlon, to his cancer diagnosis and his passion for living life to the fullest.
“I feel my cancer diagnosis has opened many more doors than it has shut and created more opportunities than it has taken away.”
Brown is an accomplished writer whose work has been featured regularly in PhillyFIT Magazine, HealthFitnessBroadcast.com, Philly Health Watch, TransitionTimes.com, Liberty Sports Magazine and is a former blog writer for Philadelphia’s FOX29. Steve has also been a featured guest on several radio, TV and internet broadcast programs.
Steve and his wife MG live in Delaware County Pennsylvania, where he works with the LIVESTRONG program at The Community YMCA of Eastern Delaware County and previously served on their Board of Directors. Brown is also a former member of the USA Triathlon’s Regional Board of Directors and continues to use his diagnosis as a way of helping others through his activism and philanthropic involvement.
Awards and Recognition
- Cabrini College Distinguished Alumni Award – 2006
- Team in Training Volunteer of the Year – 2008
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Man of the Year – 2010
- Delaware County Community College Wong Moss Distinguished Alumni Award – 2011
- Be Well Philly Health Hero Challenge Finalist- 2012
- The Blazeman Spirit Award – 2012
- HEADstrong Foundation’s Nicholas E. Colleluori Award – 2012
- WEGO Health Activist Lifetime Achievement Award Finalist – 2015
Published Work - All titles are available via major retail distribution channels.
- My New Race, published 2007
- The Inner Triathlete … Forever ablaze, published 2007
- 50 FIT TIPS, published 2008
- In Search of Center, published 2010 (Foreword by Ethan Zohn)
- Relentless Mettle, My Cancer, My Rules, published 2014 (Foreword by Dave Scott)
- Team in Training Triathlon Coach
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society First Connection Patient Volunteer
- Immerman Angels Patient Mentor
- Newton Running Company Philanthropic Ambassador
- Team Inspiration Cancer Warrior and Multisport Team Member
- Grassroot Soccer NYC Marathon Team
- Community YMCA of Eastern Delaware County LIVESTRONG Volunteer
A Few Words About Steve
“Steve Brown is committed to facilitating positive change in the world – one person at a time.”
- Pat Croce – Best-selling author, motivational speaker, successful entrepreneur, and life coach.
“Every project that I have seen Steve involved with has benefited all parties at the highest level. He is an intelligent and passionate individual whom I I’m proud to call a friend and fellow Triathlete. “
- David Greenfield – President, Elite Bicycles, Inc.
“Steve Brown has shown a great love for the sport of triathlon through his enthusiastic participation in races as well as devoting numerous hours of his time to promote the sport and encourage others to get involved with this healthy and life long sport. It is because of people like Steve that the sport continues to grow within all groups from young children to first time athletes in their 60’s and 70’s!”
– Ken Glah – Professional Triathlete, IRONMAN Champion, and owner of Endurance Sports Travel.
“Steve’s a consummate professional, endurance athlete, family man, and philanthropist. I’ve represented him to earn publicity for his fund-raising efforts, and he’s done nothing less than thoroughly impress the print and broadcast journalists we’ve gotten interviews with. Steve’s also a long-time, highly knowledgeable, national e-zine editor (TransitionTimes.com) & triathlon operations consultant.”
- Hammy Handwerker, Owner, SLH Communications.